5.05.2009

Where I've been...

So 2008 and the start of 2009 have been an interesting year for me. I have been rocked to my core about the “traditions” I had always held as biblical values. Let me explain myself. I grew up in Christian house-hold (which I am extremely grateful for) and went to a Christian school till I graduated from high school and then left home to go to (you guessed it) a Christian college. Pretty much my whole life I’ve been involved with what most people would title “lay-ministry”. Working outside the church and yet volunteering or ministering in the church.

This past year I spent a lot of time researching some different “traditions” of the church. Stuff I had actually assumed was bible or at least New Covenant. I am finding that what has been passed down from generation to generation in the church is not necessarily stuff that Jesus wanted passed down. In fact I think a lot of what He came to demolish and destroy has crept back into the religious structure of our day-the American church. Jesus despised the religious structure in His day because it took something that should have been a relationship with His Father and made it into a bunch of rules and regulations that you had to strictly follow to be a part of. I’ve seen that creeping back into the American church and it’s wrong.


I do not believe the church as we know it - is living up to its full potential. I’m not even sure the church as we know it should be in existence-but that’s another post for another time. Where is the relationship? Where is the love? So many times we hear preachers talk about getting the church back to its origins and yet nothing changes, everything remains the same. This is the origins of the church:
Acts 2:42-47:
“They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles. And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need. Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.”

This is our heritage! Am I saying let’s scrap what we have right now and go back to only meeting in homes? Maybe; to me it depends on the situation i.e. church. Some “churches” should be dismantled. Some are living out the calling that God has placed on them. All of them are called to lead people to Jesus Christ, the Son of God who in turn leads them to relationship with Father. The church is not called to place ridiculous rules and regulations that lead a person to follow a thing rather than Him.

Let’s follow Him and let Him change us into His image. Let’s not wait till He has to come in and destroy our religious structures. Let’s seek Him and ONLY Him!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Which “traditions” and “religious structures” and “ridiculous rules and regulations” are you referring to?

Where is the relationship? It is in my personal prayer time, critical study of God’s Word, learning the Truth of God’s Word, (You can’t have ‘right’ relationship with God unless you know who He is and how he has ordained that we should be made holy - it is determined by God, revealed in his Word and is exclusive.) witnessing to my neighbors, rejoicing in my work. Where is the love? It is in witnessing to my neighbors, reaching out to the needy with time and money, fellowship with my bro/sis in Christ, meeting together to hear the Word of God preached in truth, it is in loving truth more than my experience or preferences. So what are you talking about?

desean

benology said...

Desean,
Glad to have you back, seeing as how when I was doing the blog before you were pretty much the only one to comment, it’s good to “hear” you back here. Now usually those comments were questioning my beliefs but I actually enjoy discussing our beliefs. I think it makes us stronger. When I was asking about relationship in the church-it seems to me (again only my opinion)-a lot of churches went the easy route the last 10 years. Either you saw them go for the “seeker-friendly” version or the “name-it/claim-it” version. Very few if any went the authentic route. I don’t really want to dig too deeply into my own personal feelings toward those two types of churches except to say I think that they are shams who lead people into thinking that Jesus is a nice guy who wants you to have everything you want and wants to make you rich. And the only thing you have to do to achieve this is say Jesus be my Savior and come to church religiously every Sunday, tithe to the church and don’t do bad things! Now where in the N.T. is that? How do we live authentic Christian lives following a person or even a movement versus following the Living Savior of my soul?

And I can tell that you are a strong Bible-based believer. But don’t leave out the Holy Spirit! Jesus gave us His Spirit to help us and comfort us and to give us guidance and direction. And sometimes (not always) that goes against religious traditions and religious spirits don’t like it.

In search of Him who is truth!
Ben

Anonymous said...

Ben,
May I ask what gave you the impression that I have left the HS out?

desean

Anonymous said...

Ben,
From my understanding of your church, Glad Tidings - I heard recently that it is being renamed as Embassy of Heaven? - Dave seems to preach the Word of Faith doctrine or as you say “name-it/claim-it” version. Other speakers that have come through have espoused this same doctrine. Are you saying that you are not in line with that doctrine of your church?

desean

Anonymous said...

Ben,

Are you taking a break from posting and commenting on your blog? I understand that life can get busy. Looking forward to your comments.

desean

benology said...

Desean,
1.I wasn't trying to say you'd left the Holy Spirit out, just trying to encourage you not to?!? Does that make sense?
2.Having been in the church (literally) my whole life I can honestly say that what I have heard taught at G.T. is not the word of faith doctrine. And that Dave is not a word of faith preacher. Not sure what speakers you are referring to but if you didn't mind I'd like to know which ones you believe are.
3.I have actually been rather busy, sorry it took me so long to post these questions. I actually had the pleasure this past weekend to be Mr. Mom and watch my 4 awesome kids as my wife went for a weekend away.

Steve H said...

Pastor Dave could be in no way considered "Word of Faith" or "Name it claim it". He is solid Bible, empowered by the Holy Spirit to engage a broken world. . . few churches do this as well as GT. Hey, don't know you the church is the people, first "morning star", later "Glad Tidings" now "GT". . .who cares what it is called. . . it is about the people!

Ben, nice Blog. Steve

Anonymous said...

Ben and Steve,

I do believe that Dave B is Word of Faith (WoF) and I also believe that A A Allen, Todd Bentley, William Branham, Bobby Conner, Paul Keith Davis, Rick Joyner, RW Shambach, Dutch Sheets, Ryan Wyatt, just to name a few. Although all of these men have not been at GT, they have all been honored from the platform.


Perhaps we should define WoF. You can go to Wiki and find a general idea of the doctrines within WoF. Although I do not trust Wiki, it is a good place to start to get some ideas. Would you give me a definition of WoF that you ascribe to?

Yes, Ben, I think I understand what you were saying about the encouragement not to leave out the Holy Spirit. Hope you have recovered from graciously being Mr. Mom, giving your wife some time away.


Steve, regarding my comment about the name of GT changing to Embassy of Heaven (EoH): It does indicate the changes in direction that this church has been going for, at least, the last 7 years. Although the changes in teaching/preaching and speakers were gradual at first they have developed into a very different direction and doctrine than GT represented many years ago. Also, I didn’t know if there was any affiliation with the EoH that is currently in Oregon. I realize that ‘the church’ is the people, Steve.

desean

benology said...

Desean,
I think (and I haven't and won't look at Wikipedia cuz anybody can put anything on there that they want to) that Dave is definitely not WoF, but if you want to believe that go for it. The people that I typically think of when I think of WoF are Ken Copeland; Paula White; Benny Hinn and Paul Crouch. These people from what I understand believe that God has called us believers to be rich! And if you name something to God you have the right to claim it. I need a BMW so I have it in Jesus name! Or if you give to my ministry then God will bless you and take away all your debt!!! Dave doesn't subscribe to that way of thinking (in my opinion).

Now if you are talking about dealing with a problem using faith-then I think you are probably right. If there is a sickness that has come upon someone then we speak in faith that the person is healed. That is not I repeat NOT a false doctrine that my friend is Bible! Remember without faith it is impossible to please God. And what is faith? Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen. Both Bible verses my friend.

Anonymous said...

Ben,
I understand your position on Wiki. How would you define the doctrines within WoF? Can you point me in a direction that would explain the position clearly?

Thank you, desean

Anonymous said...

Ben,

Without a definition of WoF it is hard to contrast/compare it with God’s Scriptures. Does anyone here have a definition?

desean

benology said...

Desean,
I don't know if you'll ever be able to get a definitive definition of WoF because it being so controversial. You have believers on both sides of the issue and some in between. I guess my take on it is that God does give the power to get wealthy, but it is never just for us. It is so that we might be a blessing. And then we might find times in our lives where we have less than enough and in those times we have to trust Him more. It doesn't necessarily mean that we are sinning or missing what God has for us, maybe He just wants us to rely on Him more. Having said all that-we definitely need faith to make it through this life. We have to have it! It's biblical and therefore I will subscribe to needing faith and in more abundance than I currently have now. I do not think faith is a "magic wand" to wave around whenever we want something. God wants us to rely on Him for everything and we need faith to accomplish this. Hope that helps.

Ben

benology said...

Desean,
Do you not like the name Embassy of Heaven? And why not?

Ben